Ps3 Tips And Tricks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ps3 Tips And Tricks

The No1 Forum For Ps3 Help

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Playstation General Questions/AnswersPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:22 pm

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dale
Admin

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-04-18

Playstation General Questions/AnswersPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:22 pm Empty
PostSubject: Playstation General Questions/AnswersPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:22 pm   Playstation General Questions/AnswersPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:22 pm Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 3:32 pm

Please note that I just added the *general* questions and answers to this thread. Though, please feel free to ask any questions and I or maybe someone else will be able to answer it for you.

General Questions/Answers F.A.Q.

PS3 GAMES

What games are exclusive to the PS3?

Notable PS3 Exclusives (currently out, and those to come) include:

* Resistance: Fall of Man
* Warhawk
* Heavenly Sword
* Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
* Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction
* Killzone 2
* Haze
* Home (not really a game; explained further later on in the thread)
* Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
* God of War 3
* the continuation of the Kingdom Hearts series (rumor - no confimation or denial from developers yet)
* the sequel to Resistance: Fall of Man
* Final Fantasy XIII
* Final FantasyVersus XIII
* Lair, Eye of Judgment, and Folklore are all popular despite low reviews
* Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier (Naughty Dog has expressed interest in making this game)
* Gran Turismo 5
* Tekken 6- The King of Iron Fist Tournament
* LittleBigPlanet
* Socom Confrontation
* Unreal Tournament III- PS3 timed exclusive w/ access to PC mods
* White Knight Chronicles- formerly known as White Knight Story; an action RPG

For a more organized and full list of the 150+ confirmed PS3 exclusives (I won't put them all here for the sake of space), google ps3 exclusives.. With a list that big, I'm sure you'll find something you like .

PS3 USER INTERFACE

What is the user-interface of the PS3?

The user-interface on the PS3 is called the Xross Media Bar or XMB (really pronounced cross media bar). It is exactly the same as the PSP's XMB and is very user friendly. Here is a complete PS3 XMB walkthrough from PlayStation 3 XMB walkthroughs - Joystiq. The walkthrough also contains information about Folding@home, which is explained later in the "Miscellaneous" section.

Is the XMB available in-game?

Some sections of the XMB is available in some games, but not in most games. Sony is planning to make a definite version of the XMB available in all PS3 games at some point in 2008.

What are themes?

Themes are unique user-made alterations to the XMB. You can download themes directly onto your PS3 using the PS3's internet browser at sites such as All PS3 Themes.com and Playstation Universe.com.

DIFFERENT PS3 VERSIONS

What are the major similarities and differences between the four different SKUs (versions)?

Here is the breakdown of what the different PS3 versions have to offer out of the box:

80GB: $499, Black & Chrome system, has multimemory card readers, uses software emulation for PS2 backwards compatibility (85%+), has PS1 backwards compatibility, has internal Wi-Fi, has 4 USB ports, and is bundled with Motorstorm

60GB: $499 (varies), Black & Chrome system, has multimemory card readers, uses built-in PS2 hardware for PS2 backwards compatibility (99%+), has PS1 backwards compatibility, has internal Wi-Fi, has 4 USB ports

40GB: $399, Black & Chrome system, no multimemory card readers, no PS2 backwards compatibility, has PS1 backwards compatibility, his internal Wi-Fi, has 2 USB ports, and is bundled with Spider-Man 3 on Blu-Ray

20GB: $379 (varies), Black system, no multimemory card readers, uses built-in PS2 hardware for PS2 backwards compatibility (99%+), has PS1 backwards compatibility, no Wi-Fi (Ethernet cable required for online play), has 4 USB ports

HDMI and Component cables are sold separately.

What are multimemory card readers?

Multimemory card reader means that particular version of the PS3 has slots for Memory Sticks (SD and PRO cards - used for PSP, digital cameras, cell phones, etc) and Compact Flash cards (also used for digital cameras).

Weren't the 20GB and the 60GB versions discontinued?

Yes, the 20GB first because of poor sales, and then the 60GB once the new 80GB and 40GB versions were introduced. You probably won't find the 20GB new, but you may be able to find the 60GB new. The prices for these two versions aren't definite because of their discontinuation, so you may find them at a cheaper price than what is listed. The price may also vary depending on special bundles offered by certain sellers. In any case, you may have more luck looking for them used.

If the 40GB version has only 2 USB ports, will I be able to play with more than 2 players at a time?

Of course you can; all PS3 controllers are wireless. In fact, you can connect up to 7 wireless Bluetooth/USB devices at once, whether it be 7 PS3 controllers, 4 controllers + 1 Bluetooth headset + 1 wireless USB keyboard + 1 wireless mouse, etc, etc. You only need the USB ports to transfer data and/or charge your controllers and other wireless devices and you can buy a USB hub for about $10-$15 to add more ports if you really needed them.

Will the 40GB version ever have PS2 backwards compatibility? Doesn't it have the same hardware as the 80GB?

No, not unless a new model of this version is introduced. The 80GB still has the PS2 graphics card (the GSX) and uses software emulation to give it the ability to play PS2 games. The 40GB is capable of software emulation like the 80GB, but it would still need the PS2 graphics cards to play PS2 games.

Why does the 80GB PS3 have less PS2 backwards compatibility than the 60GB and 20GB versions?

The 80GB uses software emulation, while the 60GB and 20GB versions have actual PS2 hardware inside them. As of right now, none of the PS3s are 100% backwards compatible, but the backwards compatibility issues with some games will be corrected over time through system updates. You can check backwards compatibility for the specific PS2 games you're worried about at this PlayStation.com

Can I play PS2 games online using my PS3?

Yes, you can. There's no official confirmation that this works with all games, but some of the more recent PS2 games I have tried worked fine on the PS3.

PS3 ONLINE SERVICE

What about Online play?

Online service on the PS3 (called the Playstation Network) is completely free. The PS3 has the Playstation Store, where you can download free demos, videos, images, themes, and buy PS1 games, other arcade-like games, add-ons to PS3 games, and entire PS3 games. On the XMB, once you log in to Playstation online account, you can see your buddy list, whether or not your buddies are online and what they're playing if they are online. You can send them a message or invite them to a chat room where you can use voice chat. You can also access saved music and videos from your XMB and this will be available in-game in the future.

What is Home?

Sony is due to release Home in 2008 (previously due for release in Q1 2008 but it has been delayed indefinitely); it's a virtual world where you can create and customize an avatar and a home for your avatar (ala The Sims). Also, you can access stuff from the Playstation Store in virtual shops, hang out at public spaces with other online PS3 users, and play virtual arcade games. You can text chat using your PS3 remote or keyboard or voice chat using a Bluetooth headset. You can invite your new-made friends back to your private home and share music and videos saved on your PS3, and even invite them to play multiplayer games together. Will the PS3 have an achievement system like Xbox Live?

Once Home is released, it will contain a trophy system comparable to the Xbox Live achievement point system, and you can display your trophies at you private place.

How does the Playstation Network compare to Xbox Live?

According to my experiences and the opinions of many others, Xbox Live isn't that much better than the Playstation Network. Unlike Xbox Live, access to the Playstation Network is completely free. I've had my 80 gig PS3 since July 2007, I have Optimum Online High-Speed internet, I use a router to connect the PS3 to the internet wirelessly,and I have experienced minimal (little to no) lag online or other online problems in general. I've heard from others on this site with both the PS3 and 360 who have said that the gamers on Xbox Live are less mature and there is a lot more racism and cursing on Xbox Live than on the Playstation Network. Of course that may be due to the fact that fewer people have the PS3 right now. In the end ... it all depends upon your specific tastes and preferences. I can only share my opinions ... you will have to try them both out and form your own.

PS3 and HDTVs

Do I need an HDTV to play the PS3?

No, an SDTV will do just fine. You will need an HDTV, however, to experience the full graphical ability of the PS3 and Blu-Ray.

What resolutions will the PS3 play?

The PS3 will play at any resolution, from 480i to 1080p, depending on the TV and media you're playing on it. You will need component cables or HDMI cables, which are sold separately, for resolutions greater than 480p.

Where can I find more information about HDTVs?

You can use Amazon.com's HDTV Buying Guide. Also, if you need help determining what size and resolution HDTV you should get, check out this 1080p vs 720p Informational Graph in a thread I made in the "General Hardware" forum . The size and resolution of the TV you choose depends on how far away you sit from the TV.

***NOTE***

The "General Hardware" forum is where threads about HDTVs belong, even if they pertain specifically to the PS3.

MISCELLANEOUS PS3 INFO

What is Folding@Home?

Since October 2000, over one million CPUs throughout the world have participated in this distributed computing project. The goal of this project is to research protein folding and misfolding to gain an understanding of how these are related to disease. Targeted diseases include (but are not limited to) Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and many forms of cancer. Your participation will help accelerate the understanding of these and other diseases. For more information, please visit Stanford University's Folding@homeTM website located at: Folding@home - Main. The PS3TM system's Cell Broadband EngineTM (Cell/B.E.) processor will dramatically add to the computing performance of the Folding@homeTM project. Folding@homeTM on PLAYSTATIONŽ3 utilizes the RSXTM graphics processor to provide a real-time visualization of the folding behavior of proteins. The locations of PS3TM systems that are running Folding@homeTM are displayed on the world map that is visible in the background. It's nice to know that you can be curing cancer and other diseases when you're not playing your PS3 .

Can I upgrade my PS3's hard drive?

Yes, you can use any 2.5" SATA hard drive.

What does the PS3 have to offer other than games?

It's a cheap alternative form of Blu-Ray player. Other standalone Blu-Ray players on the market start at around $400, so getting a PS3 exclusively as a Blu-Ray player is still a great deal compared to the competition. The PS3 can alsobe used to store music, photos, and videos, and it has a web-browser as well. The PS3 can be your all-in-one gaming and media center.

What accessories are the PS3 compatible with?

The PS3 is compatible with Bluetooth headsets, USB keyboards and mice as well as other USB devices, 2.5" SATA hard drives (used for laptops as well).

Will PS2 games look better when they're played on a PS3? What about DVDs?

Yes, they will look better when played on the PS3 because the PS3 upscales PS2 games, as well as DVDs.

SHOULD I GET A PS3?

The decision is up to you, and only you. After reading this thread, you should have enough information to make the best decision for your wants and needs.
Back to top Go down
http://ps3tipstricksforum.co.nr

Playstation General Questions/AnswersPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:22 pm
Page 1 of 1